Thursday, May 29, 2008

Everybody's All-American (Christian)

So, after two weeks of alternative teaching, we get ready to turn back to a discussion of the "flesh" and how it affects our lives, our loves, and our losses. I am really excited about revealing (or maybe reminding you of) these teachings. But, I am more interested, today, in continuing to show you real life studies in flesh.

I have been promising to introduce you to Greg. I have really wanted you to meet him because he is really one of the best natured, talented, athletic, and friendly men you could ever meet. I really like Greg. As a matter of fact, everyone likes Greg.

Greg is pretty humble, though. And, when he knew I wanted to discuss his life, he wouldn't really give me approval. So, I have struggled this week with what to do. I was about to go ahead and publish the article about my own flesh when I received this..... an e-mail from Greg, permitting me to go ahead and use his life as an example, as long as I published, not my words, but this e-mail - verbatim.

So, here is Greg, described by Greg... what a guy!

"Hey guys. I really don't have much to say. I don't have much of what you would call a testimony. I am sure you would be much more impressed with the testimony of some of the other guys Doug and I know. As a matter of fact, Doug knows some guys with some pretty impressive stories about their lives and their born-again experiences. But, he said he wanted to share me with you. So, for what it is, here it is.

You might think that I am kind of strange for not allowing Doug to write this. But he has this gift of encouragement and he talks a little too much about parts of me that I get uncomfortable sharing. But, he has insisted I read about Ben and Kimberly and kind of format my stuff after them.

So, here is a stab at that. I was born in Chattanooga, Tennessee and raised on Signal Mountain. My dad is a business owner in town and my mom has always called her occupation - Assistant to Greg and Jana (my sister).

As a kid I always had a great time with my family. Jana and I were really into sports. She's the golfer and tennis player and even though I knock around both the dimpled and fuzzy ball now, I always have really loved the big three: baseball, basketball, and football.

Dad was a pretty fair ball player as a kid (played college baseball at Alabama in the '70s) and brought a love for sports into my life. From the time I was a kid, about four I think, I was throwing, kicking, shooting, or running with a ball. Dad and I spent a lot of time in the driveway and backyard having a catch, playing a little one on one, or just working on technique. Dad was (is) a great coach. But that would kind of sell him short if that is all I said about him. Dad is a great mentor, my best friend (going to be best man in my wedding this summer), and an incredible Dad.

Dad always put family first. He has had a very busy professional life, but he never allowed it to come before Mom, Jana, or myself. I know that he has given me every bit of example, coaching, and encouragement to be the best husband and someday dad my self. My fiancee' said after she met Dad that she had no idea that there was another man in the world like the one she fell in love with (I'm just a product of him - but lucky for me, huh?)

Mom is also a great example to me and a real side-kick to Dad. They have never missed an opportunity to teach or encourage me. Mom never missed a ballgame, always helped with home work, kept the most incredible scrap books of our accomplishments, and cooks the best lasagna in SouthEast Tennessee.

I'll never forget the day I graduated from high school. I didn't think Mom and Dad would ever quit gushing over my Valedictorian speech. Why? It was just all about them. I could have never been all-state in baseball without my Dad. I couldn't have carried the 4.0 without Mom helping me juggle three sports and my studies. I wouldn't have ever learned piano without Mom forcing those lessons on me. I just recently figured out that no matter how slow I get on the court I'll always be able to sit and produce at the piano or keyboard.

But in a really big way, do you know what I need also to really credit Mom and Dad with? In this venue, on Doug's website, I really need to give them the credit for the greatest thing ever in my life.

When I was ten years old, Dad and Mom revealed the plan of salvation to me. They showed me Jesus and the cross. They showed me how Jesus died for my sins. I thought about it all night and asked Jesus to come into my heart right before breakfast the next morning. If it weren't for their love of Jana and I, taking us to all those church events, youth choir, working with the student ministry, and making us learn all those bible verses for Kid's Klub, I might not have my faith in God.

God and my church are two of the most important things in my life. I love working with the young adults ministry in the church. I was asked last year to help lead a Bible study. I have even been given the privilege of sharing some of my college athletic experiences with the local FCA and seen some kids ask Jesus into their heart. I love sharing what I have done for God, encouraging others to give their time to ministry, and also teaching what I know about the Bible. I have worked at using these truths to make a difference in my and the lives of others less fortunate than me.

So, to sum up Greg (I guess if you reallt want to know me) I can wrap it up in three words.

God, Dad, and Mom. Without these three, helping me in everything I have ever done, I would have nothing at all to talk about. I give them all the credit.

In closing, I will ask for one thing a little selfishly. I am going to be accompanying Dad on a medical mission trip to Tanzania this summer. He has been there many times but it will be my first mission trip to Africa (I am a little more experienced in the roofing houses ministry here, and doing some gospel mission sports camps in the Ukraine). Pray for me that I can do all God would have me there for.

Thanks for indulging me this time. If we ever meet, through Doug, or maybe at church, please don't give me too hard of a time - LOL. This was all Doug's idea, and I owed him one!

God Bless you in all you do for the Lord!

Greg K."

And with that,

~ Doug out

0 comments: